2.15.2012

Baby D: 28 Weeks

28 weeks with Baby D
27 weeks with Hens/Baby C

So, I figured I should put up a baby bump picture since I am in my third trimester and have managed not to post pictures of my burgeoning bump everywhere.  To compare, I also added the picture below (black shirt) of me at 27 weeks with Henry. I feel like I am bigger now than I was then...but based on those pictures I guess it looks pretty much the same. And now, to celebrate my pregnancy brain I will blog my thoughts, feelings, and facts in bullet point fashion.  Prepare yourself.
  • I am officially 28 weeks and 5 days.
  • Braxton Hicks contractions started around 26 weeks and I get probably 3-4 a day. I notice I get them more frequently when I bend over (picking up toys/Henry/etc.) and/or spend extended time cleaning/doing things on my hands and knees. I reeeeally hope they don't get worse as this pregnancy progresses because they're starting to get in the way of life.
  • Baby D moves around a LOT. I don't know if I can feel it more or I have less to pay attention to, but I notice it all the time. My one comfort is a lot can change in the next few weeks. Doesn't mean he's going to be a really active, awake infant, right?
  • I get heartburn probably 2-3 times a week, usually on days when I eat lots of fast food or sugar. It's very odd because it's not unbearable, but it's just not comfortable. So next time I'm going to take some Tums for the first time in my life.
  • Starting to get mild swelling in my legs if I don't walk regularly. Sexy, I know.
  • I recently bought a king sized pillow to serve as my body pillow/other Josh. I love it.
  • I am carrying much lower than I remember with Henry (/Baby C)
  • I have to eat frequent, smaller meals or I feel uncomfortably full for hours and hours.
  • Following that same train of thought, nights are not a very comfortable time of day for me. The lack of naps and accumulation of lifting a small child make a very tired lady, and most nights when Josh gets home I'm laying on the couch watching TV. But don't worry! I do make dinner most nights and clean at least one room a day, so I'm not a complete waste of a housewife.
  • I haven't had any major aversions or cravings like I allowed myself with Henry. Spinach is no longer in my diet and I've been eating quite a few Burger King chocolate chip cookies, but other than that I eat like a fairly healthy individual.
  • I've gained about half the weight I want to, so I'm on good track to stay in my desired 20-30 lb pregnancy weight gain assuming I don't give up in the next 12 weeks.
  • And finally, I'm starting to freak out about having another baby in the home. Like, what is going to happen with Henry when I'm in the hospital? And who is going to play with him when I have to spend an hour figuring out nursing with a newborn? And how am I ever supposed to catch up on sleep? Yikes. Tips from all my 2+ children mom friends are very much encouraged, please.

I think that's all for a baby D update. It's about time I post some pictures and updates on Henry. It's like 12 months gave him permission to grow up and learn really fast or something. Growth and I have a love/hate relationship. AND Happy post-Valentines day. Cheers!

9 comments:

  1. I could have written a book on worrying about how I was going to survive with two kids. But I found that its kind of like adjusting to one... you worry about all these things that you think you won't be able to do once you have a baby but then you find that you are still able to do them. Same thing goes for having two (at least for me). So don't sweat it! Ps you are a cute cute CUTE pregnant lady. And I hate you a little bit for only gaining 20-30 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, you look adorable! Glad to hear that things are going well, and that Baby D is getting his workout in each day :) Hope the next weeks fly by as quickly as you want them to, but as slowly as you need to prepare. P.s. LOVE finally having a description for baby teeth - Frankenstein...of course! Prob a bit better than "David Letterman teeth", like we say :) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look so pretty. I know those stresses very well. And the best thing for me to think was billions of people have handled the 2 child transition, so I could do it to? The jury is still out however on whether or not I've handled it. . . But really. You'll be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute! I spent a couple of days with Sarah, who now has two kids and she was telling me it's so much easier having a newborn and a toddler than being pregnant with a toddler. I imagine I just won't ever leave the house when I have two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so beautiful, Kendall! You make pregnancy look so good and it makes me want to be pregnant again. You are an awesome Mama and are going to do great. And remember, Jake and I are here to take Henry if you need us! It would be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kendall! You look so great! Why do I not see you more? We live in the same place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, so cute! (I don't know how I missed this post until now!) You look fantastic.

    This post reminds me - pregnancy is a big job!! You DESERVE to be on the couch every night! I was SO beat during my pregnancy with Chase, because having a very mobile baby to take care of at the same time is a little nuts! Hang in there!

    My thoughts for having two - Try to be really encouraging of Henry's relationship with baby. Let him touch the baby (baby's are way more resilient than they seem!), and praise him a ton when he is helpful (like when he puts baby's diapers in the trash or helps feed a bottle). As he gets a little older you can see if he wants to model things, like trying to put a diaper on a stuffed animal while you change the baby alongside him or feeding his stuffed animal a bottle while you nurse.

    Also, if you have a laptop, starfall.com is a great distraction tool while nursing!

    Before you have baby, tell your close friends or family that taking Henry out for a little playdate here and there would be wonderful (even more helpful than someone brining a meal). Outings for Trenton were a huge blessing for me when Chase was a newborn.

    Sorry for the novel! It is an adventure, but my boys love each other now, and I think it has a little something to do with how positive we've tried to be about their relationship. (Lots of praise when they're sweet.) It is the best thing in the world to watch! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so real Kendall, I love that about you. And I agree, you are cute pregnant. I think this time around especially. Having 2 kids was a big adjustment for me, but I think the first child was the biggest adjustment. It is hard to have the first to worry about while you are learning to care for the second. But I remember slowly having it become the new normal and it will for you too. They will be so sweet together. I love watching my boys play together. Someone told me to have a little box of toys or a treat for the older child that you only pull out when you nurse the younger one. It made me feel more prepared having that ready. We also did the "gift exchange" between siblings when Daniel arrived. It was fun to have something special that Joshua got to give to Daniel, and giving him jobs was great too. Enjoy this time with Henry, but know there is such a richness that will come when this next little guy is part of the family too.

    ReplyDelete