6.18.2011

The Arrival

Technically, our arrival in New York took place on Day 4 of vacation/road trip, but it was no longer a road trip since we were arriving "home". We crossed bridges and paid tolls and didn't see Manhattan on our first day. It was a unique experience arriving here for the first time. Here are the reasons why.
  1. Exiting the freeway, the streets were immediately filled with Orthodox Jews. I can't recall ever seeing one in my life, so it was a crazy experience. Now, when I say filled, I mean like, flooding the streets and overflowing the playgrounds (little baby orthodox Jews), cars filled, kind of full. It was insane. I want to know how they get their sideburns like that.
  2. There is an invisible line in Brooklyn where there cease to be Orthodox Jews.
  3. The other side of that line is all black people. More blacks than I've ever seen in my entire life. In our neighborhood we're probably outnumbered 20:1. It was shocking.Street cleaning and the parking situation is crazy.
So anyway, we found a parking spot (six feet away from fire hydrant, not a good idea) and unloaded our stuff to the ground shaking music of a double parked car in front of our building at 8 PM on a Wednesday night. Pretty fun. But we made it.

Henry found a bed in the closet and Josh and I unpacked as much as we could for the evening. Then we went to bed awaiting the day ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment